No Comments

There are three different avenues for arranging your child support. They include:

  1. Child Support Assessment
  2. Child Support Agreement
  3. Self Management

Child Support Assessment

One option is to have your child support assessed by the Child Support Registrar, Department of Human Services. The amount payable is calculated according to a formula taking into account the number of children, the income of both parents and time spent with each parent. The amount payable can be changed should your circumstances change.

If you are the receiving parent you can elect to receive payment by either Private Collect or Child Support Collect. The Child Support Registrar can assist with the enforcement of payments.

Child Support Agreement

A child support agreement allows parents to formally agree to child support payments. The Agreement is carefully drafted by your child support lawyers. The Agreement is legally binding on the parties and payments can be enforced by either the Child Support Registrar or the Court. The agreement can determine how much, when and by what method a person should pay child support.


If you and your partner have effective communication styles post separation, you may be able to self-manage your child support payments. You can decide how must to pay, when to pay and how to pay. This method provides flexibility to change your agreement and determine a method that suits you. A down side of such an arrangement is that self-management agreements are unenforceable by the Court. Rather, your agreement is based on mutual trust. With the assistance of your child support lawyers you may be able to negotiate a child support agreement if your arrangement is not working.

For more information, visit our page on child support.

For advice about Child Support contact us on 1800 300 170 or email us at

Family law situations can be complex and sometimes they can involve serious issues.  Information outlined is proposed to provide general guidance only. Due to the seriousness of legal matters as well as the uniqueness of your individual situation, professional advice should be sought. For advice, please contact one of our Family Lawyers.