9AM – 5:30PM

Monday to Friday

L7, 10-14 Smith St

Parramatta NSW 2150

(02) 9635 7966

Call Us

We are leaders in commercial, private client, and government law

中文     14th June 2024

9AM – 5:30PM

Monday to Friday

L7, 10-14 Smith St

Parramatta NSW 2150

(02) 9635 7966

Call Us

Child Support

Family Law Lawyers in Parramatta Sydney, highly experienced and regarded in child support matters

Children are entitled to receive financial support from their parents. Child support is one option available for you or your partner to financially provide for your children. Our child support lawyers can guide you through this process and explore your options to help you decipher what is the best solution for your circumstances.

How can child support arrangements be documented?

Child support arrangements need to first be made through a child support assessment which can be applied for by either a parent or non-parent. After an application is made for a child – who is usually under the age of eighteen (18) – the Child Support Agency will then issue an administrative assessment and send it to both the parent who is receiving the payment and to the parent who is making the payment. If parties do not wish to engage the Child Support Agency, the parties can come to an agreement to document child support arrangements for their children privately.

What are the different child support provisions that can be made?

Any provision for child support to be paid or received may be by way of either:

  1. Periodic amounts (ongoing);
  2. Non periodic amounts (non ongoing);
  3. A lump sum amount.

Parties can also undertake an administrative assessment which provides for periodic amounts and also the opportunity to arrange for a child support agreement to account for other expenses that may arise (e.g. school fees, medical fees etc.).

Do I have appeal rights if I am not happy with a decision made by the Child Support Agency?

In circumstances where an administrative assessment is made by the Child Support Agency and you as either the payer or the payee are not happy with the determination made, you may make an objection through the Child Support Agency to that assessment.

There are also circumstances where you may apply directly to the Social Security Appeals Tribunal and the Court.

It is important to note that all appeal procedures have time limits and strict rules about what and when to file documents. As such, independent legal advice from our separation and divorce lawyers at Matthews Folbigg should be sought.

Are there any avenues to seek support for children other than child support?

Under the Family Law Act, if children are over the age of eighteen (18), then maintenance can be provided by way of an adult child maintenance scheme. This type of maintenance differs from a typical child maintenance claim simply due to the fact that it only applies to children who are in their 17th year or are over the age of eighteen (18).

An Order for adult child maintenance can be made in circumstances where:

  1. It is necessary for that support to allow the child to complete tertiary education;
  2. Such maintenance is necessary to allow or assist that child with a disability.

How can we help you?

Reaching a settlement in relation to child support/ child maintenance issues can be complex and stressful.

Matthews Folbigg divorce lawyers specialise in child support/ child maintenance settlements for both married and de facto couples.

We have a team of solicitors including accredited specialists in family law who may provide succinct legal advice to you in a cost efficient manner.

Contact us today for help

We serve all of the legal needs of individuals, government and businesses, regardless of their complexity, throughout all of Sydney and beyond.

We are industry leaders, and we never lose sight of the outcome that you want. We guide you through the legal process to achieve that outcome.

Our growth and our success, comes from the growth and success of our clients.

Google Rating
Based on 85 reviews