At Matthews Folbigg you can be confident in knowing that our Solicitors have the right skills, knowledge and expertise – so you’ll have the best legal representation to fight for what you deserve!
Call us today on 9635 7966
The Matthews Folbigg employment law team stand shoulder to shoulder with you in managing your people.
Our employment lawyers provide expert workplace law advice with assistance from our immigration lawyers where needed, with a focus on delivering practical, tailored and time/cost efficient solutions for all of your workplace needs.
Our employment law clients include manufacturers, retailers, professional services firms, not for profit organisations, poultry, food and beverage, IT service firms, real estate, vehicle, construction, insurance, health service providers, educational institutions, local councils and many more – you can be assured that our employment lawyers can assist you across every industry.
Our expert team of employment lawyers work in tandem with HR Managers and those responsible for management of workplace matters.
The type of assistance provided is YOUR decision with a range of service delivery options available ranging from a quick chat to a comprehensive employment law advice that always considers both the legal and commercial aspects.
Matthews Folbigg employment lawyers let YOU manage our costs by offering a range of costing options for you to choose from including:
- retainer arrangements
- fixed fees for defined projects
- the traditional hourly rate
Our employment lawyers and consultants are experts in providing quality, cost effective advice in relation to work health and safety. We, in conjunction with our consultants, provide expert advice in:
- preparation of WHS manuals
- assistance with risk assessments and consultation arrangements
- assistance with investigations
- guidance in managing inspections by WorkCover or Unions
- representation in prosecutions
We deliver high level legal advice in both the public and private sectors.
Our employment lawyers have a wide range of skills that can be applied to resolve any legal issues regarding employment.
Starting with an appropriate employment contract based upon current legislation including the Fair Work Act, our employment lawyers are able to provide ongoing advice relating to award-covered and non-award covered employees.
From time-to-time our employment law team will update you on changes to employment law and major decisions from the Fair Work Commission to ensure your knowledge remains current.
Our employment lawyers provide expertise in fair work practices relating to:
- anti-discrimination, bullying & harassment policies
- grievance procedures
- workplace training and information sessions for employees and managers
- grievance management
- investigations including independent investigations under legal professional privilege
- defending proceedings in relevant jurisdictions including the Fair Work Commission and Federal Courts
Our immigration lawyers can assist with:
- workers’ rights checks
- employer assisted migration applications including:
- standard business sponsorships
- position nominations
- 457 (temporary business) visa applications
- employer nomination scheme (permanent) applications
- tailored employment contracts to reflect employer/employee obligations
- immigration advice regarding employer obligations to sponsored employees
The Office of the Migration Agents Registration (OMARA) Code of Conduct is intended to regulate the conduct of registered migration agents. The Code details the professional and ethical standards for registered migration agents. A copy of the Code is available on the website of the OMARA and our immigration lawyers are always ready to assist you with any interpretation required.
Our employment lawyers and consultants are at the forefront of providing employment law advice to clients, hosting events and delivering in-house training on the latest workplace laws for employees and managers which can be tailored to meet your workplace needs.
Areas of workplace law covered includes:
- workplace health & safety
- discrimination, bullying and harassment
- termination of employment
- employment contracts
- enterprise agreement making and union rights
- change management
Our employment lawyers appreciate that workplace laws do not operate in a vacuum and they can provide assistance with strategy and solutions by engaging with expert consultants on your behalf or putting you in touch with our preferred providers to assist you with:
- HR Management
- recruitment & selection
- performance management
- counselling and disciplining employees
- mediation of workplace disputes
- human resource management
- information systems
- implementation of policies and procedures
- Negotiation of Enterprise Agreements
Working within the confines of Australian workplace law, our employment lawyers can assist you to achieve the best outcome for your enterprise.
- Workplace Investigations
This includes factual, forensic and surveillance services relating to:
- employee misconduct
- discrimination, bullying & harassment
- WHS Consultants
Workplace law in Australia places onerous responsibilities on directors and officers to ensure a safe workplace for employees and our employment lawyers are at the forefront of assisting directors and officers to meet these high thresholds.
There are times when an employment contract must be brought to an end and often outplacement of a departing employee can deliver a smoother transition for all concerned.
- Injury/Workers Compensation Management Services
Our employment lawyers can provide relevant advice on workers compensation matters and assistance in dealing with injured workers.
Our employment law team understands the importance of HR systems within a workplace and can offer expert advice based upon current workplace laws including:
- employment contracts
- independent contractor agreements
- immigration compliance
- confidentiality, intellectual property and restraint deeds
- policies and procedures
- interpretation of workplace laws, employment contracts and industrial instruments
- flexible work arrangements/parental leave
- performance management, counselling and disciplining of employees
- terminations and risk minimisation strategies
- dispute management/resolution
- negotiation and approval of enterprise agreements
Our employment lawyers can represent your interests in the event of any litigation involving your workplace. This includes:
- unfair/unlawful dismissal and adverse action claims in the Fair Work Commission
- discrimination claims
- workplace health and safety prosecutions
- breach of contract/misrepresentation claims
- Supreme Court/Federal Court litigation relating to restraints and confidentiality breaches
- all other types of claims in the Fair Work Commission
Our employment lawyers are aware of the challenges and complexities that can arise during a period of change within a workplace. Our employment lawyers can apply their knowledge to resolve these complexities and deliver a positive outcome including:
- assistance with business restructures and redundancies
- preparing compliance consultation/termination letters and release documents
- liaising with and/or engagement of outplacement providers
- liaising with immigration departments
- management of employee matters arising out of sale and purchase of business, mergers and acquisitions
- compliance with workplace law and employment contract obligations
- eliminating/reducing the risk of a claim including before the Fair Work Commission
“We have been utilising the services of Matthews Folbigg, through Stewart Gough, for a number of years now and have valued their professional service and commercial approach to the challenging legal matters we have been faced with, especially in the Industrial Relations area. Thank you Stewart for the work you do for us.”
Chief Operating Officer, Honan Insurance
“Sandvik Australia‘s relationship with Matthews Folbigg is best described as a mature one. Our most recent dealings have been with the firm’s Workplace Relations division. As is synonymous with Matthews Folbigg, the service provided has been prompt, sound and effective. The lawyers at Matthews Folbigg understand the difficulties employers face with the practical application of employment law in the workplace”
Human Resources Operations Manager, Sandvik Australia Pty Ltd
“Dear Stewart, Having now used your Employment Law services for some years, I would like to take this opportunity to say to yourself and Matthews Folbigg, thank you. The work that you have done has been excellent in quality and delivery. Your availability to me as a client has been first rate. The outcomes you have delivered have been excellent. Many thanks David Wilson.”
Managing Director, Sydney In-Home Child Care Pty Ltd
“People management is one of the most challenging components of a business. Keeping up to date with it has become a specialist area. Outsourcing our HR department to Matthews Follbigg has been one of the best decisions we have made. I can rely on them to get it right.
Managing Director, Race Dental Laboratories
“It gives me great pleasure to write this testimonial for Stewart Gough and his firm Matthews Folbigg Lawyers.
I rely heavily on Stewart Gough and his staff for my legal services. Our company’s legal needs are diverse, ranging from employment law, contract law, conveyancing and various other commercial matters. Stewart and his team have been extremely professional and reliable. I feel I am always made aware of the options available to me so that I can make informed decisions.
Our business requires our legal matters to be dealt with as soon as practical, in order to not disrupt the flow of business operations. A legal firm that is readily available to take our calls when we ring and work to deadlines is important to us. Stewart has always made himself available and I can say with confidence that the service provided has been excellent.
The most important thing I like about Stewart and his team is that they treat us in a respectful way – I feel like a valued client. I continue to recommend Matthews Folbigg to my friends and colleagues.”
Managing Director, Scientific Group of Companies