If you are unable to agree on how to resolve your family law matter, including parenting and/or property issues, you may consider the option of Family Law Mediation. Mediation can assist you to narrow and clarify the issues in dispute and potentially reach an agreement.
What is Mediation?
Mediation is a voluntary process that is facilitated by a neutral third party known as the Mediator. The process of mediation allows parties the opportunity to discuss any issues in dispute and generate options that might resolve these issues.
You can attend mediation with or without legal representation and any agreement reached at mediation must be with the consent of all parties involved.
In some instances where parties do not feel comfortable with being in the same room as the other party, a shuttle mediation can be conducted which is where the mediator goes between rooms and facilitates discussions between the parties.
Benefits of Mediation
- It is often the case that an agreement reached via Mediation benefits both parties because both you and your former partner can be involved in the decision-making process and can customise the terms of any agreement reached to suit the needs of you and your family.
- Mediation is a cost effective process when compared to the substantial costs involved in litigating a family law matter through the Courts;
- Participating in mediation offers the opportunity to resolve your matter immediately. If an agreement is reached, terms of settlement can be drawn up and made into Court Orders without you having to go to Court. Proceeding through Court can take sometimes 3-4 years and be a very stressful process.
- Mediation provides an opportunity to discuss important matters and try to understand where the other party is coming from even if you don’t agree with it.
- Are experienced family lawyers who have taken an interest in resolving disputes between parties;
- Are familiar with all types of family units and the wide range of problems that can arise following separation;
- Are skilled in negotiating and resolving disputes relating to parenting arrangements as well as property and financial disputes;
- Are able to explore with you the issues that are important to your unique set of circumstances;
- Can assist parties in considering whether solutions generated are practical; and
- Help parties stay on track during the negotiating process with resolution in mind.
Tina Lohitharajah is a member of our Family Law Practice Group at Matthews Folbigg. She is a Nationally Accredited Mediator (NMAS) and also an Accredited Family Law Specialist. Tina is available to provide mediation services to parties involved in a Family Law Dispute. If you would like the assistance of our Mediation service, contact us on 1800 300 170 or email us at email@example.com
REQUEST A CALL BACK
We serve all of the legal needs of individuals, government and businesses, regardless of their complexity, throughout all of Sydney and beyond.
We are industry leaders, and we never lose sight of the outcome that you want. We guide you through the legal process to achieve that outcome.
Our growth and our success, comes from the growth and success of our clients.