Employment Law – Background
In June this year, the Fair Work Commission (FWC) announced the reductions of public holiday penalty rates for the hospitality, retail, fast food and pharmacy sectors. The reductions were decided as part of the FWC’s four-yearly review of modern awards.
As of 1 July 2017, public holiday penalty rates were reduced while Sunday rates will reduce over three to four years. Although the unions argued for the delay in reductions, the FWC agreed with employer organisations. As a result, the first transition step is smaller than later transitions. Furthermore, the retail and pharmacy sectors will have longer transition periods due to their reductions being more significant.
Employment Law – The Modern Awards Reductions per Sector
For the retail and pharmacy sectors:
For the fast food sector:
And for the hospitality sector:
Employment Law – Tips for Employers:
Our Matthews Folbigg Workplace Solutions employment law team recommends employers:
- review these changes to your respective modern awards
- seek the assistance of an employment lawyer to understand the impacts of these modern awards changes
- understand the employment law implications by speaking to an employment lawyer
- update employment contracts in response to the public holiday penalty rates reductions
- therefore ensure compliance with all employment laws including Fair Work Commission decisions, Awards and enterprise agreements
Employment Law – More Information
Please call the leading employment lawyers in Parramatta, the Matthews Folbigg Workplace Solutions employment law team on 9635-7966 to speak with one of our employment lawyers.