Family mediation can often be a daunting experience. This is particularly so for those who are worried about coming face-to-face with an abusive or controlling ex-partner. However, did you know that there are alternatives to face-to-face family mediation? Depending on your individual situation, shuttle mediation may be a suitable option for you.
Shuttle Family Mediation
In shuttle family mediation, the parties to the dispute are separated into different rooms or locations. The mediator moves between each of the rooms and conveys the other parties viewpoints, ideas and offers. This may be appropriate for relationships characterised by high levels of conflict or domestic violence. Shuttle mediation is also a good alternative where Court Orders prevent the parties from being together physically. The aim of this type of mediation is to maximise the safety of both parties.
Advantages of Shuttle Mediation
- Improved physical and emotional safety of the parties as the conflict is minimised;
- Freedom to express your opinions or concerns to the mediator without fear of a negative reaction from your ex;
- The mediator is able to hear from both sides as they are given equal time to express their thoughts. This is particularly beneficial for spouses who feel they are being talked over by their ex-partner.
Disadvantages of Shuttle Mediation
- Slower than face-to-face mediation due to the time taken to convey each message;
- The potential for miscommunication;
- Parties have less control over the direction of the conversation.
For advice about family mediation contact us on 1800 300 170 or email us at email@example.com
Family law situations can be complex and sometimes they can involve serious issues. Information outlined is proposed to provide general guidance only. Due to the seriousness of legal matters as well as the uniqueness of your individual situation, professional advice should be sought. For advice, please contact one of our Family Lawyers.