No Comments

Resolving a family law dispute is often complex as parties are usually dealing with emotional and psychological barriers that stem from the domestic relationship in addition to the legal issues. Additionally parties can be in different emotional stages when moving forward from the end of the relationship and this can cloud a party’s ability to interact constructively.

Family Law Mediation is an opportunity for parties to communicate their ideas, concerns and proposals to each other in a safe environment. Particularly in instances of high conflict, it is very common for family law mediation to take place in shuttle. This means parties remain in separate rooms and can still communicate their views through the mediator without having to worry about being met with confrontation from the other party.

While a court does not have capacity to address the parties’ emotional needs, family law mediation can be a useful tool in understanding the drivers behind the dispute and what options are available to alleviate this. By undertaking this process, parties can communicate things that they have wanted to discuss for a long time but previously haven’t been able to.  Even if a resolution is not achieved, parties often walk out of a mediation better understanding the perspective of the other party than when they first walked in. This can be instrumental in shifting the relationship dynamic from conflict based to resolution focused.

At Matthews Folbigg, we have Accredited Mediators who can conduct your family law mediation as well as Accredited Family Law Specialists who can provide you with advice and attend mediation with you.

If you are interested in family law mediation, please contact us on 1800 300 170 or email us at
Family law situations can be complex and sometimes they can involve serious issues.  Information outlined is proposed to provide general guidance only. Due to the seriousness of legal matters as well as the uniqueness of your individual situation, professional advice should be sought. For advice, please contact one of our Family Lawyers.