No Comments

In the majority of cases it will be in the best interest of the children to have child custody arrangements in place that allow each child to have a significant and meaningful relationship with both of their parents whilst growing up, even if they do not always live with them.

It is always best if parents can agree and work things out about their children between themselves. Just because your relationship has broken down doesn’t mean that you stop being good parents.

At Matthews Folbigg our child custody lawyers recommend to our clients that wherever possible they first try to talk to the other parent before making any big decisions about where the children will live or how much time the children can spend with their other parent.

We also recommend seeking child custody advice from a specialist family lawyer before you enter any binding agreements. Timely legal advice can help parents understand and have confidence about what options are available to them when making arrangements for their children after separation.

It can be very helpful for both parents to sit down with an experienced mediator or Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner (FDRP) to discuss any proposed parenting arrangements. The FDR practitioner can help advise you about what types of arrangements tend to work best for children of different ages or in particular family circumstances.

The FDR practitioner can assist parents to work together to draw up a parenting plan. However, you need to understand that even if a Parenting Plan is in writing and signed by both parties, it is not enforceable by a court.

Our specialist family law team can assist and advise about the best way to negotiate and reach an agreement about where your children are going to live and how much time the children will spend with the other parent which can be written up and made into an enforceable Court Order without needing a judge to decide.

Click here to see more information about child custody.

Our Accredited Family Law Specialists are aware of these issues when giving child custody advice after marriage breakdown.

Speak to one of them today.

Matthews Folbigg Lawyers, Parramatta, Team of Specialist Family Lawyers are known throughout Sydney for their friendly yet professional approach.  Our family lawyers can advise you on all aspects of children’s advice, post-separation parenting arrangements for your children, child custody rights, and general marriage break up advice.

For advice about negotiating a Property Settlement Agreement contact us on 1800 300 170 or email us at

Family law situations can be complex and sometimes they can involve serious issues.  Information outlined is proposed to provide general guidance only. Due to the seriousness of legal matters as well as the uniqueness of your individual situation, professional advice should be sought. For advice, please contact one of our Family Lawyers.