In early 2015 the Fair Work Commission commenced its review of penalty rates, as part of a four year review of modern rewards, it must undertake under section 156 of the Fair Work Act. The Fair Work Commissions’ decision, regarding whether there should be any changes to penalty rates, was expected to be completed by October this year. However, the Fair Work Commission has now delayed their decision, and will be unlikely to make a decision by the end of this year.
The Fair Work Commissions report is reviewing the following awards:
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2010
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2010
- Restaurant Industry Award 2010
- Fast Food Industry Aware 2010
- General Retail Industry Award 2010
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010
- Pharmacy Industry Award 2010
Tips for Employers
It is important for employers to:
- check your employees’ pay rates to ensure that they are being paid in line with the applicable modern award
- keep up to date with any changes to modern awards under workplace law to ensure you do not get penalised for failing to comply with new regulations
- seek advice from an employment lawyer to ensure that your employee’s pay rates are correct under workplace law
If you would like more information about this article or if you would like any assistance in other employment law matters including employment contracts or the Fair Work Act, please feel free to speak with or email one of our specialist workplace lawyers on (02) 9635 7966 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: This article is provided to clients and readers for their general information and on a complimentary basis. It contains a brief summary only and should not be relied upon or used as definitive or complete statement of the relevant workplace law.